Saturday, June 10, 2006

Google gets World Cup fever

I was highly impressed this morning when I walked into the office, logged in to my computer, and loaded my browser. Google fed last nights world cup results directly into my homepage and I hadn't even asked them to do it! There's only one difference between this being rude and invasive or clever and intelligent...the simple fact that I actually do want to follow the world cup. Its information that I wanted to see, replacing other items on the page that I don't want.

If you haven't come across Interactive Google before then you're in for a treat. Goto http://www.google.com/ig and sign into your Google account. Then you can create your own interactive homepage full of feeds that please you.

As you can see from this image, Eric Cantona adornes the right with his Nike "Joga Bonita" advertising campaign (it means "play beautifully" - in case you don't understand Portugese)

On the left is the lowdown on the Germany vs Costa Rica game (bring on Paulo Wanchope the one-hit wonder from the 90's - was very pleased to watch him play last night) and the sad news that Poland lost to Ecuador (sorry Joe).

Personally I was looking for an upset in the Germany game...but alas...though it could almost have been...it wasn't and the Germans dispatched themselves with their usual methodicy, though their defense was rather shakey, as Wanchope proved on several occasions (ok ok his second goal was offside)

Anyway, the most important match of the World Cup so far is this evening. England take on Paraguay in Munich and our very own Mike Tozer is probably already sitting in the stadium. He was watching last night's game in a betting shop at the airport just before he flew out to Germany. Should be an easy dispatch for England...let's hope this optimism doesn't go to waste!

No comments: