Friday, July 01, 2005

Celebration of Discipline: Study

He that to what he sees, adds observation, and to what he reads, reflection, is in the right road to knowledge, provided that in scrutinising the hearts of others, he neglects not his own. [Caleb Coulton]
For the 5th CoD chapter, Foster dives into the discipline of study. I love his opening quote [above] by Coulton. I think it pretty much sums up this chapter. As Foster says, "the mind is renewed by applying it to those things that will transform it"

Foster gives us four steps that he believes form the basis of study:
  1. Repeitition - "Regularly channeling the mind in a specific direction"
  2. Concentration - centering our attention on the subject in order to comprehend what we are studying
  3. Comprehension - it is the knowledge of the truth that sets us free
  4. Reflection - "defines the significance of what we are studying"
I often struggle to concentrate. There are times when I find music useful to concentrate - such as when I'm in the office and need to block out all other forms of distraction. But there are times when music gets in the way and I'm distracted e.g if reading or praying.

I think there is one more step I would add though - "regularity". It doesn't form the basis of study, but it does enables study to flourish. This is my biggest problem though. My life doesn't easily fit into a regular pattern, so its hard to make a regular slot for study. But I've certainly found it very rewarding when I have. There are some amazing gems in the 'old Bible if you dig down under the surface. (understatement of the century!)

I have to end this posting with my favourite quote of the chapter:
To read successfully we need the extrinsic aids of experience, other books, and live discussion
I think the CoD blog ring is a pretty good form of modern day 'live discussion'.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I think the CoD blog ring is a pretty good form of modern day 'live discussion'.

I agree ... at the very least it helps keep me disciplined enough to continue reading (and studying) the book. It's always interesting to see the perspectives others bring to the discussion.

Thomas Muse said...

Amen to the "live discussion". I enjoyed your post. Life doesn't always fit into regular compartments. I think that's why I like the emphasis on tarrying with God. I pray you get the chance to tarry a bit this week :)