Friday, July 08, 2005

Celebration of Discipline: Simplicity

*Warning* This post is going to be slightly abstract and quite possibly confusing, because I'm rather tired right now!

This study is certainly getting deeper each chapter. The quote below from Foster's 6th chapter conveys a radical point of view.
The Spiritual Discipline of simplicity provides the ... perspective. Simplicity sets us free to receive the provision of God as a gift that is not ours to keep and can freely be shared with others.
If a gift is given to me, I'm supposed to keep it and enjoy it right? But with God, his gift is so great that actually I can't possibly keep it all to myself. Its such a big gift that simply by giving it away, I still get to keep it! There is enough to go round.

By simplicity, Foster means things such as:
  • Not getting carried away with being important
  • Getting rid of addictions
  • Being generous rather than keeping
  • Appreciate creation
  • Don't oppress others, rather affirm them
  • Seek the kingdom of God
Quite a heavy checklist if you look closely enough!
The central point for the Discipline of simplicity is to seek the kingdom of God and the righteousness of his kingdom first and then everything necessary will come into its proper order.
Ah ok, this is a much better principle to guide the checklist above. It makes it a bit easier to follow. If you keep this principle in mind, and focus on it, then I don't think you can go wrong with the Discipline of Simplicity somehow. Much easier said than done... good luck with it!

2 comments:

Alina said...

hey steve! hope you're well :)

so i read Celebration of Discipline for the first time about a year ago and now i can see it was for the wrong reasons, and i just ended up feeling really condemned! Now i see the disciplines as ways to abide in Jesus and know his rest, and i'm about to start studying the book again...

you've summerised the chapters in your blog but i'm interested to know how you're finding it in terms of applying the knowledge and engaging in the disciplines :)

take care x

Steveybabe said...

hey Alina,
actually I got several chapters into the book and then decided to do a review on how far I'd come. I wrote it down somewhere a few weeks ago - maybe I should dig that out again and write it up. I've certainly found some things really helpful. Would love to hear how you get on too!